For The Position of Director
Sudeshna Abbott, P. Eng., MASc., PMP
I would like to thank you for considering to support me as a candidate for the position of director.
As a professional engineer for the past 10 years I have dedicated much of my time in a wide variety of mining industry projects. These included various engineering and geoscience disciplines which have not only been challenging and rewarding, but also truly engaging with other industrial fields, key stakeholders, and the general public.
Although the engineering and geoscience fields are quickly progressing, in my experience over the past several years while visiting local schools as part of National Engineering and Geoscience Month, I believe that the roles and activities of engineers and geoscientists are not always well understood by the general public - specifically the young people of the community. I believe we need to increase the diversity of these professions by attracting young people, working together to bringing the benefits of technology to society, and ultimately protecting the safety of workers and the public.
I would welcome the opportunity to participate in PEGNL board activities to further increase awareness of the professions to help safeguard sustainability of these professions in the province. Furthermore, having resided in the Labrador region for my entire career life, I would be honoured to represent PEGNL board to voice and bring forward local issues and concerns.
I believe that my diverse background and experience will allow me to successfully serve as a dedicated volunteer in this position. I welcome the opportunity to contribute to the enhancement of the engineering and geoscience professions in our province. Thank you again for considering me for the position of director.
- Ryerson University – Masters of Applied Science (Electrical Signal Processing) (2007)
- Queen's University – Bachelors of Applied Science (Electrical, Communications) (2005)
- Rio Tinto IOCC – Integrated Operations, Superintendent Asset Management Assurance (2019 – present)
- Rio Tinto IOCC – Project Delivery, Senior Electrical Engineer/Project Manager (2017 – 2018)
- Rio Tinto IOCC – Sustaining Capital Projects, Electrical Engineer/Project Management (2010 – 2018)
- Rio Tinto IOCC – Automation & Control, Engineer-in-Training (2009 – 2010)
- Rio Tinto Iron Ore Company of Canada (IOCC) – Expansion Projects, Engineer-in-training (2008 – 2009)
Previous PEGNL Activities
- PEGNL Chapter Connections Labrador – Executive Chair (2011 – present)
- National Engineering & Geoscience Month (NEGM) – Labrador Region Lead Volunteer (2012 – 2019)
Membership in Other Associations, Offices Held, Community Affairs
- Project Management Institute – (PMI), PMP Certified (2017 – present)
- Labrador West Music Festival – Executive Director (2018 – present)
- Town of Labrador City – Town Council, Anniversary Celebration Committee Member, (2010 – 2011)
- International Conference for Upcoming Engineers (ICUE), Ryerson University – Session Chair (2007)
I have been married for over 7 years now, also to an Electrical Engineer and together we have two beautiful children with whom I love spending family time together. I have also had the opportunity to travel quite a bit since my childhood and made it to most of the continents – a grateful experience I have been sharing with my family also. In my spare time I also enjoy playing the piano, especially duets with my eldest daughter, and also playing violin – I am currently learning some fiddle music and enjoying this immensely. I have also taken up cross-country skiing again this year and absolutely loving the breathtaking scenery in this Labrador region.