For The Position of Director
Stewart Hughes, P. Eng., MSM, CD
I am looking forward to the privilege of serving on the PEGNL Board of Directors as a Director-At-Large.
As a recently minted Professional Engineer in Newfoundland and Labrador, and am I keen to acquire a greater and more detailed knowledge of the regulation of the Engineering and Geoscience professions, and contribute to the Engineering and Geoscience community.
I enjoy new challenges and opportunities for professional development, and I will do my utmost to make the most of this opportunity if elected.
- Royal Military College of Canada – Bachelor of Engineering (Chemical and Materials) (2000)
- Work related training including Ship's Environmental Officer Course, Middle Management Leadership Development Course, Naval Officer Demolitions Course, Construction Worker Safety Training Course, Occupational Health and Safety Committee Member Course, Confined Space Entry Course, Fall Arrest Course, Basic Survival Training, WHMIS, Kvaerner Leadership Training Level 1, Emergency First Aid/ CPR B/AED
- Kvaerner Canada Limited, Husky Energy West White Rose Project – Ballast Operations Lead (2017 – Present)
- Kiewit-Kvaerner Contractors, Hebron GBS Project – Ballast System Specialist (2012 – 2017)
- Canadian Armed Forces – Naval Technical Officer (1996 – 2012)
- Detachment Commander of Canadian Forces Naval Engineering School Detachment St. John's (Marine Institute) (2009 – 2012)
- Head of Marine Systems Engineering Department of Her Majesty's Canadian Ship HALIFAX (2007 – 2009)
- Project Lead for Her Majesty's Canadian Submarine CORNER BROOK (2006 – 2007)
- Marine Systems Training Officer (2005 – 2006)
- Naval Engineering Indoctrination Training Officer (2005)
- Electrical Training Officer (2003 – 2004)
Previous PEGNL Activities
- National Engineering and Geoscience Committee, 2019
Membership in Other Associations, Offices Held, Community Affairs
- Uniformed Services Run - Founder and Race Director, planning committee member (2010 - present)
During my time in the military I received the Meritorious Service Medal, the Canadian Forces Decoration, the South West Asia Service Medal and the Queens Diamond Jubilee Medal.
I am a Black Belt in Kenpo Karate for which I am an Assistant Instructor at Wiseman's Martial Arts. I am also a Black Belt in Olympic Tae Kwon Do for which I am an Assistant Instructor at Satori Elite Athletics.
I am currently studying to challenge the Project Management Professional certification exam.