For The Position of Director
Nicholas Capps, P. Geo.
I have been an avid fan of geology ever since inheriting my first rock collection from my grandfather. The work he did as an engineer, and the incredible samples he had collected, fascinated me. This drove me to delve into the field of geoscience and pushed me along my current career path as an exploration geologist. My experiences have shown me the significance of geosciences and engineering in our community and make me an ideal candidate to help bring PEGNL into the potentially bright future I see ahead.
I have had the fortune of working in our beautiful province for the entirety of my professional career. Through the years I have become well versed in developing relationships and working alongside a broad spectrum of entities in order to keep the gears turning smoothly for one of the most advanced exploration projects in the province. As a project manager I have cultivated a keen sense of critical thinking and problem solving and acquired an appreciation for the value of diversity and innovation in the workplace. Working with my team of Memorial University geologists I have seen first-hand the incredible talent we have in this province and I look forward to further fostering this talent as a mentor, co-worker and director of the governing body for these individuals.
- Memorial University – Bachelor of Science, Earth Science (Honours) (2011)
- Marathon Gold Corporation – Project Manager (2017 – Present)
- Marathon Gold Corporation – Senior Exploration Geologist (2014 – 2017)
- Silvertip Exploration Consultants – Exploration Geologist (2014)
- Marathon Gold Corporation – Exploration Geologist (2011 – 2013)
- Marathon PGM Corporation – Student Geologist (2010)
- Memorial University – Field and Lab Assistant (2009)
Previous PEGNL Activities
- Attended PEGNL AGM conferences and presentations 2017, 2018
Membership in Other Associations, Offices Held, Community Affairs
- Member of Newfoundland and Labrador Prospectors Association
- Conferences attended:
• Atlantic Universities Geologic Conferences (2010 – 2011); PDAC conferences (2010 – 2011); Newfoundland Minerals Review (CIM) as student (2009 – 2010) and as delegate for Marathon Gold (2011, 2015 – 2018) including multiple professional development seminars and networking events
- Participated in Gender Equity in Mining Workshop put off by Mining Industry Human Resources (2019)
- Presented to school groups as a volunteer with Let’s Talk Science (2009 – 2011)
Advanced Medical First Responder
PADI-certified Open Water Diver
Avid hiker, skier and rock climber
Member of several local sports clubs including rugby, basketball and ultimate frisbee
Animal rescue advocate