For The Position of Director
Nicholas Capps, P. Geo.
I have been enthralled with the field of geosciences ever since taking my first course at Memorial University. The beautiful province that we live in has provided me with an incredible backdrop on which to develop my passion for, and knowledge of, the planet we live on and the resources it provides us with. As a project manager with Marathon Gold, I have been fortunate to work with some of the brightest young minds in the province on one of the most exciting projects in the country.
While working with this incredible group of people and volunteering with the broader science community I have seen the ingenuity and talent on tap in our province. With my 10+ years of work experience and my volunteering with PEGNL I have developed a sense of the needs of the local geologists and engineers. As a young geoscientist I believe I would bring a fresh approach to tackling these issues and developing the necessary policies to bring our professional community into the bright future I see here in a safe and effective way. I foresee a new and exciting path forward for all those in our association and look forward to furthering the trust the public has placed in us to lead the charge for our province.
- Memorial University – Bachelor of Science, Earth Science (Honours) (2011)
- Marathon Gold Corporation – Project Manager (2017 – Present)
- Marathon Gold Corporation – Senior Exploration Geologist (2014 – 2017)
- Silvertip Exploration Consultants – Exploration Geologist (2014)
- Marathon Gold Corporation – Exploration Geologist (2011 – 2013)
- Marathon PGM Corporation – Student Geologist (2010)
Previous PEGNL Activities
- National Engineering and Geosciences Month Committee (2019 – present)
- Created Geosciences Scavenger Hunt to get more students active and interested in the local geoscience community
- Professional Geologist since 2018
- Member of PEGNL since 2016
Membership in Other Associations, Offices Held, Community Affairs
- Member of local CIM branch (2019 – present)
- Member of Newfoundland and Labrador Prospectors Association
- Active member of the local geoscience community, presenting to university students and attending numerous conferences and presentations
- Advanced Medical First Responder
- Avid hiker, skier and rock climber
- Member of several local sports clubs including rugby, basketball and ultimate frisbee
- Animal rescue advocate